South 85 Journal accepts poetry for its issues during its reading period, September 1 through April 30. Submit poems for consideration via Submittable only, https://south85.submittable.com/submit/65511.
• Manuscript should be sent as an attachment.Work pasted into the body of the cover letter will not be considered.
• You may submit up to 5 poems and up to 10 total pages.
• Please send only one submission per category (Poetry, Fiction, and Non-Fiction) between September and December and one submission between January and April.
• We accept all styles and forms of poetry and are open to new, fresh voices. However, we do encourage you to read archives of South 85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
• Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
• Multiple works should be submitted as a single document, with page breaks and titles to indicate where one poem ends and the next begins.
• Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
• Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
• Place your name and email address in an upper corner of the first page.
• Include a brief cover letter and include a contributor’s note of no more than 75 words that tells the reader about you and your literary background. Feel free to include other publications in which your work has appeared.
• We accept simultaneous submissions. If a particular poem is accepted elsewhere, inform us by adding a note to your submission in Submittable. If you would like to withdraw your entire submission, you can do so through Submittable.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks.
We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.