South 85 Journal accepts non-fiction submissions during its reading period, September 1 through April 30. Submit non-fiction for consideration, via Submittable only, https://south85.submittable.com/submit/65514.
• Manuscript should be sent as an attachment. Work pasted into the body of the cover letter will not be considered.
• Non-fiction submissions should be no longer than 8,000 words. Please include the word count in your email.
• Please send only one submission per category (Poetry, Fiction, and Non-Fiction) between September and December and one submission between January and April.
• We seek to publish non-fiction essays that give a new perspective, make undiscovered connections, or show us something new. We appreciate the innovation of form and content that challenges our perception of the craft as well as wit and humor. Above all, be honest with us, about your content and yourself. We encourage you to read archives of South85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
• Please refrain from submitting any academic articles.
• Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
• Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
• Place your name and email address in an upper corner of the first page.
• Include a brief cover letter and include a contributor’s note of no more than 75 words that tells the reader about you and your literary background. Feel free to include other publications in which your work has appeared.
• We accept simultaneous submissions. If your work is accepted elsewhere, withdraw your submission through Submittable.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks.
We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.