I am pleased to announce that, as of December 15th, the Fall / Winter Issue of South 85 Journal has been live. Here’s what you’ll find in this issue:
Julia Peterkin Flash Fiction Contest Results
- Winner: “Mourning Dove” by Benjamin Garcia
- Honorable Mention: “Distilled Water” by Ethan Joella
- Finalists: “My New Young Wife” by Hal Ackerman, “Chappaquiddick” by Leah Browning and “Pieces” by Kenneth Weene.
We are pleased to present work by the following writers:
- Fiction by Nina Schuyler, Brooke Turner, and Catherine Uroff
- Non-Fiction by Brianne Agnizle, Michelle Renee Hoppe, and Aine O’Hare
- Poetry by Jay Brecker, Patrice Boyer Claeys, John Davis Jr., Bill Glose, Susan Ludvigson, Terri McCord, Robin Michel, Eileen Pettycrew and Victoria Richard
December Book Reviews
Our book reviewers take a look a recently published books in fiction, non-fiction, and poetry:
- The Edge of America by John Sealy – review by Rhonda Browning White
- Educated by Tara Westover – review by Tammy Ortung
- Half-Hazard by Kristen Tracy – review by Aaron Max Jensen
Upcoming Submission Opportunities
Our next general submission period is from February 1 to April 15, 2020 for the fall / winter 2020 issue. We charge a $3.00 fee to help defray the cost of operating a literary journal, though all submissions are FREE for the first week of the submission period. For more information, check out our full submission guidelines.
South 85 Journal is published by the Converse College Low-Residency MFA program, which recently celebrated its 10th anniversary! Thank you to our staff of volunteers who put countless hours into making this issue happen.
We hope you enjoy reading this issue as much as we enjoyed putting it together!